The 85-acre Secrest Arboretum was established in 1909 by Edmund Secrest, the first state forester of Ohio. Although it is a research arboretum, over 7,000 people visit the gardens annually. The Ohio Nursery, landscaping industry and master gardeners depend on the Arboretum for training programs and evaluation of new plant introductions. The public simply enjoys its beauty and serenity. The Secrest Arboretum Support Council supports programs, planning and development. Many of the trees were lost in the 2010 tornado and about $400,000 in private donations have allowed restoration projects to develop rapidly. Another $20,000 has been donated for a beautification project on the core campus.